Friday, April 19, 2013

White Glove and Bathroom Cleaning Instructions (for Posterity)

I spent the last weekend at a boys dorm doing White Glove!  The boys all had specific jobs they were supposed to complete before they could check out of their apartments.  My job was to make sure they had completed the job.  If they did not do it to my specifications they were "fined".  I had 24 apartments to go through and six boys per apartment to meet with.  Needless to say, I was very tired when I got done, met some interesting young men, saw lots of messes and gross bathtubs and stuff.  But the young men were all very polite, seemed to try to get their work done and mostly all said "Yes, Ma'am".  Only one on the floor of apartments I completed - ditched his job and took off without doing his job.  It took us longer to do our job than it did some of the other ladies that were doing the same job at other apartment complexes, so they came to help us finish.  They were appalled that someone would leave without doing their work.  I was kind of too - but I guess that's what some will do to get out of cleaning a dirty oven, sweeping and mopping the kitchen and cleaning a microwave.  Slacker!

Then this week I went back and there were three apartments that I had to help clean the bathrooms while a friend of mine worked on the kitchens.  Apparently in this apartment complex, the managers had made arrangements with a few apartments of girls that if they kept their apartment clean throughout the semester and it was clean enough to show to people throughout the semester, then they would not have to do their "Clean Check" at the end of the semester.  Well, this is what we found...

Sorry - but this is not clean - and it takes some time for it to get dirty like this.

 I found that this tub (after cleaned) would not drain well - so I can kind of understand a little of why it was so dirty - but still..... ugh.



We spent 2 hours in each apartment.  The ovens were awful also! 

Anyway, the following are instructions as to how to best clean a bathroom.

Remove everything from the bathroom.  (Makeup from counters, garbage, rugs, and stuff from around the bathtub).

Sweep the bathroom.  Empty the garbage.

Spray the bathtub and/or shower with cleaner.  Let stand while cleaning other parts of the bathroom.

Start with a couple of clean microfiber cloths/towels (see picture below) and spray mirror with a WINDOW cleaner. or water with a small amount of white vinegar in a spray bottle.



Spray and wipe down counter top and sinks with cleaner/disinfectant.  A one sided razor blade can be used to remove hard water from around the faucet and the drain stopper.

Clean the bathtub out -wipe down all of the dust on the outside and clean the inside of the tub.  If you have a large buildup of soap or shampoo in the bathtub you can use (on a porcelain tub only) a one sided razor blade (with a safety handle) to scrape the buildup out of the bathtub.  We also used a green rough scrubber to scrub the buildup off the side of the bathtubs.  If the bathtub was gray, there was a special cleaner (Germacide) that was used sparingly on the affected areas.  It smells really bad and requires a well-ventilated room when in use.

I use the "Johnny Mop" purchased at The Cleaning Center   Complete Toilet Set to plunge all the water out of the toilet.  I have the "mop" but use different cleaner for the toilet.  Once all the water is mostly out of the toilet - use whatever cleaner you want in the toilet - the mop cleans the toilet pretty well.  Seems like a good idea to me to eliminate the water and then clean the actual porcelain without the water there.  I also spray the outside of the toilet with some sort of bathroom cleaner and then wipe the toilet down with a couple of paper towels.  If the toilet is as dirty as the toilet I showed above you can use a Pumice stone to remove any hard water stains.  Remember to clean the outside of the toilet as well!

Pumice Stone 

After all of that is done you can clean the floor.  It was best while cleaning these apartments to use a couple of paper towels to wipe all the way around the bathroom to remove the hair and other objects from the floor.  Then use a mop or another small cloth to clean the floor in the bathroom - spraying with disinfectant where needed.

I can't imagine that anyone I know has the trouble these kids were having dealing with a dirty bathroom - but for posterity I am leaving instructions!  HA HA HA

1 comment:

Loralee and the gang... said...

Thanks! I might just copy and print these instructions and post them in my kid's bathroom. One small change - you can also empty the toilet bowl by shutting off the water valve and flushing a couple times.