Sunday, January 31, 2010

Kitchen Cupboards get a NEW look

The house I live in is a house that was formerly in Rexburg, Idaho. We purchased the house, dug a basement and had the house transported to our home 30 miles away and the house was carefully placed on top of our basement. The house, however, was built around 1978 and if you remember what the “styles” were in that time it was scary! Anyway, the walls had grass-like wallpaper all over every wall – we stripped all the wallpaper off, textured and painted the walls. We have replaced orange-ish brown shag carpet with more updated carpeting. We installed Witex flooring in the kitchen and put tile in the bathrooms and finished the basement so our children all have a room of their own. It’s not fancy but it’s all we’ve got and we’ve made it a pretty nice home considering the age. We cannot afford to purchase new cupboards right now so I keep painting, scrubbing and painting the ones I have and last week I decided to take the time to antique the cupboards in my kitchen. The cupboards have actually seen many years and I’m just attempting to make them a bit more updated. During August and September, the farmers in our area combine grain - and for some reason this brings out the flies. Oh my gosh they are terrible! Anyway – I thought that maybe if I added an antique finish to the cupboards that the fly “specks” wouldn’t be quite as visible. We may change our mind after this summer – we’ll see what the results are.

Here is a picture before:


And this is what it looks like now:

3 comments:

Loralee and the gang... said...

I see what you mean about the white - plus all the pretty trim to wipe fly guts out of! nasty! They look beautiful now...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.